Podcast 311: Prefuse 73
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Photo: Angel Ceballos
Though he's been regularly releasing music since the mid '90s, the prolific Guillermo Scott Herren (best known as Prefuse 73) continues to work, his output unabated by time or simple indolence. Born in Miami, raised in Atlanta, and having spent a significant period of time in Barcelona, he's somehow distilled these varied locales—along with his current home base of New York City—into his music, resulting in a warped, psychedelic version of instrumental hip-hop that has been chopped and re-ordered with an almost surgical level of precision. Herren has never been shy about working with other artists and his newly founded label, Yellow Year, is set to play host to Speak Soon, a series of collaborative EPs. (The first release will be the much anticipated debut from Sons of the Morning, his joint project with LA beatmaker and Brainfeeder affiliate Teebs.) With this new chapter of Herren's career about to begin, we figured now would be a good time to have him put together an exclusive mix for the XLR8R podcast series. He could have easily used the mix to survey his past, but this 45-minute session finds Herren still moving forward; his love for fractured rhythms, gauzy melodies, and avant pieces of electronic-infused folk remains intact, but he's chosen to exalt these aesthetic elements with a variety of new tunes. He's evolving, but he hasn't lost himself in the process; that's why we continue to pay attention.
01 Prefuse 73 "Intro"
02 Thundercat "We'll Die" (Brainfeeder)
03 Lapalux "Dance (feat. Astrid Williamson)" (Brainfeeder)
04 Robert Koch "So Bad (Synkro Dub Mix)" (Apollo)
05 Nosaj Thing "Tell" (Innovative Leisure/Timetable)
06 Kelpe "Single Strips (Chesslo Junior Remix)"
07 Prefuse 73 & Machinedrum "The Only Scarf"
08 JJ Doom "Bookfiend (Clams Casino Mix)" (Lex)
09 Shigeto "Olivia" (Ghostly)
10 Moderat "llona" (Monkeytown)
11 Teebs & Prefuse 73 (Sons of the Morning) "The Way That Winter Passed Us" (Yellow Year)
12 FKA Twigs "Water Me" (Young Turks)
13 Mount Kimbie "Bave's Chords" (Hotflush)
14 Lapalux "Flower" (Brainfeeder)
15 Shigeto "Ritual Howl" (Ghostly)
16 Triangle Method "Cloud Cover" (Artery of Mirrors)
17 King Krule "Baby Blue" (True Panther)
18 Andy Stott "Leaving" (Modern Love)
19 Boards of Canada "Sundown" (Warp)
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player