As the full-band project of Leeds-based DJ Ralph Lawson, 2020Soundsystem prides itself primarily on its live performances, but their M.O. as a studio outfit is unclear. Their second full-length album, Falling—not a mix, but 12 discrete tracks—forgoes guest vocalists, putting bassist Fernando Pulichino’s voice up front throughout, but even with a consistent frontman, Falling still feels faceless as a band project. When they try to “rock,” as on opener “We Get Down” and the overlong, goth-aping “Closure,” it rings rather hollow. That said, there are some solid house tracks here, like the jittery “Broken” and lead single “Psycho,” and the bass and lazy hook of glam-disco cut “Ocean” are pretty stellar. Perhaps their gigs make more sense.
- NewsRBMA to Launch Video Game Music Documentary Series Featuring Flying Lotus, Kode9, and More; Watch the Trailer Now
- GearAsk the Experts: Om Unit
- NewsStream Dark Sky's Upcoming Debut LP for Monkeytown
- NewsTadd Mullinix Launches Bopside Label, Preps Inaugural Release as JTC
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
XLR8R Downloads Player