As the full-band project of Leeds-based DJ Ralph Lawson, 2020Soundsystem prides itself primarily on its live performances, but their M.O. as a studio outfit is unclear. Their second full-length album, Falling—not a mix, but 12 discrete tracks—forgoes guest vocalists, putting bassist Fernando Pulichino’s voice up front throughout, but even with a consistent frontman, Falling still feels faceless as a band project. When they try to “rock,” as on opener “We Get Down” and the overlong, goth-aping “Closure,” it rings rather hollow. That said, there are some solid house tracks here, like the jittery “Broken” and lead single “Psycho,” and the bass and lazy hook of glam-disco cut “Ocean” are pretty stellar. Perhaps their gigs make more sense.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player