2Mex/SonGodSuns Over the Counter Culture
- Words: Ben Bush
- Label: Up Above
2Mex has a wildly stylized delivery, full of massive speed fluctuations and serious bellowing which, at best, makes his strictly so-so lyrics indecipherable. The production here is nothing complicated but makes use of some interesting sounds, tossing heavy metal drum breaks into the middle of a creamy hip-hop tracks and accelerating sampled R&B singers to Chipmunks velocity. His best rhyme ("condom/double entendrum") is couched in his post-punk track "Lie Love You" and there‘s something Zappa or Ween-esque about his self-hate in "Didn‘t Mean to Touch Your Hand."
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player