31 Knots Worried Well
- Words: Sam Mickens
- Label: Polyvinyl
Portland trio 31 Knots’ musical focus has grown in recent years to encompass wide swaths of modern R&B, Broadway swagger, and electronic experimentalism, which supplements their bedrock of severe, intricate art-rock. Worried Well finds the group utilizing its prismatic musical resources to astonishingly varied effect. “Compass Commands” falls somewhere between Gilbert & Sullivan and “Hey Ya,” while “Upping the Mandate” glides on a carriage of hand claps and Dr. Dre-worthy synth lines. When all of these elements reach true confluence, as on the spidery, arpeggio-driven “Strange Kicks” and the lovely, elegiac “Opaque/All White,” 31 Knots prove themselves one of the most dramatically adept power trios going.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player