31 Knots Worried Well
- Words: Sam Mickens
- Label: Polyvinyl
Portland trio 31 Knots’ musical focus has grown in recent years to encompass wide swaths of modern R&B, Broadway swagger, and electronic experimentalism, which supplements their bedrock of severe, intricate art-rock. Worried Well finds the group utilizing its prismatic musical resources to astonishingly varied effect. “Compass Commands” falls somewhere between Gilbert & Sullivan and “Hey Ya,” while “Upping the Mandate” glides on a carriage of hand claps and Dr. Dre-worthy synth lines. When all of these elements reach true confluence, as on the spidery, arpeggio-driven “Strange Kicks” and the lovely, elegiac “Opaque/All White,” 31 Knots prove themselves one of the most dramatically adept power trios going.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player