39 Clocks Pain It Dark
- Words: Chris Sabbath
- Label: Bureau B
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
The Bureau B imprint mines deep into the murk and strikes gold with this reissue of the 1981 debut from Germany’s self-crowned “Psycho Beat” combo, 39 Clocks. Oozing out shock waves of bad acid trips, decayed guitar, and the dull stomp of a tiny beatbox, the 39s honed in on the ragged, garage-y stumble of Loaded-era Velvets with some crusted synths à la Suicide thrown in for sturdy backbone. “A Look Into You” sounds like an offshoot of a new-wave single with its faded, slothful rhythms, barbed lead riffs, and ghostly deadpan vocals, while “Shake the Hippie” and “Test the Beat” have got just the right mix of fuzz and shamble. A definite keeper.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player