4Hero Play With the Changes
- Words: Steve Marchese
- Label: Milan
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Six years after Creating Patterns, 4Hero's Mark (Marc Mac) Clair and Dennis (Dego) McFarlane return with their eagerly anticipated fifth LP Play With the Changes, perhaps a reference to how things have evolved for the duo over their noticeable absence. What remains the same is the pair's penchant for crafting soulful, complex songs for an expertly assembled group of vocalists, here including Jody Watley, poetess Ursula Rucker, rappers Darien Brockington and Phonte of Little Brother, and funk legend Larry Mizell. The result is a studio-perfected and inspired exploration of various types of fusion. Leaving no stone unturned, 4Hero jumps headlong into a blend of jazz, soul, R&B, breakbeat, and funk, showing a passion for all forms of black music past and present. Once again, Marc Mac and Dego humble fans with their encyclopedic musical knowledge and masterful production.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player