- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Output
Together as 7-Hurtz, Brand New Heavies founder Lascelles Gordon and Ben Cowan, a touring member of Sparks, are making some of the UK’s most addictively catchy electronic music. The pair may describe their John Carpenter-inspired melodic loops as dark but Electroleum actually breathes with life. Sneaking live bass and guitar into the mix on tracks like “3 Sisters,” their second LP at times travels similar terrain as New York’s Out Hud. Cowan, a former member of several contemporary dance outfits, and Gordon, a session percussionist who most recently contributed to Beth Orton’s last album, both bring enough influences to keep Electroleum a far cry from typically derivative contemporary electro.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsHear a New Remix from Joy Orbison
- NewsSBTRKT Releases Interactive Video for "Look Away"
- NewsStream a Track from Locked Groove's Upcoming EP
- GearArtist Tips: Addison Groove Shares Five of His Production Secrets
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player