808 State Outpost Transmission
- Words: Dan Sicko
- Label: Shadow
Where does techno go after it's been framed and hung in a gallery? As with their last release (1996's Don Solaris), Manchester's modern masters lay it on thick, this time with a fresh palette. There are a few familiar notes and devices, such as employing multiple guest vocalists like Simian, Elbow and Alabama 3, all of whom produce great results. But it's drastic shape-shifts and an increased intensity that mark 808's return. The tone of "Soulflex," for example, glides effortlessly between martyr and menace. Can a Vatican commission be far behind?
- NewsStream Submerse's Upcoming Debut Full-Length, 'Slow Waves'
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Juan Ramos "The Mariner"
- NewsRicardo Villalobos Readies 'Voodog' 12"; Preview It Now
- NewsCheck Out Another Track from Rustie's Upcoming LP for Warp
XLR8R Downloads Player