Abe Vigoda Skeleton
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: PPM
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
L.A. kids Abe Vigoda have spent the last four years developing their sound into what PPM label-owner/No Age drummer Dean Spunt describes as “tropical punk.” And while last-week’s-big-thing Vampire Weekend has made Graceland a dangerous line to walk, Abe Vigoda crossbreeds Paul Simon’s signature Afro-pop with face-melting post-punk to maintain the Spunt’s description on Skeleton, their third full-length. From the jovial guitars of “Dead City/Waste Wilderness,” the album explores sunny melodies (“The Garden”) and heavy noise passages (“Whatever Forever”) while keeping a cohesive flow. That’s what happens when you grow up at The Smell instead of an Ivy League university.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player