Abe Vigoda Skeleton
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: PPM
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
L.A. kids Abe Vigoda have spent the last four years developing their sound into what PPM label-owner/No Age drummer Dean Spunt describes as “tropical punk.” And while last-week’s-big-thing Vampire Weekend has made Graceland a dangerous line to walk, Abe Vigoda crossbreeds Paul Simon’s signature Afro-pop with face-melting post-punk to maintain the Spunt’s description on Skeleton, their third full-length. From the jovial guitars of “Dead City/Waste Wilderness,” the album explores sunny melodies (“The Garden”) and heavy noise passages (“Whatever Forever”) while keeping a cohesive flow. That’s what happens when you grow up at The Smell instead of an Ivy League university.
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player