Abe Vigoda Skeleton
- Words: Josiah Hughes
- Label: PPM
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
L.A. kids Abe Vigoda have spent the last four years developing their sound into what PPM label-owner/No Age drummer Dean Spunt describes as “tropical punk.” And while last-week’s-big-thing Vampire Weekend has made Graceland a dangerous line to walk, Abe Vigoda crossbreeds Paul Simon’s signature Afro-pop with face-melting post-punk to maintain the Spunt’s description on Skeleton, their third full-length. From the jovial guitars of “Dead City/Waste Wilderness,” the album explores sunny melodies (“The Garden”) and heavy noise passages (“Whatever Forever”) while keeping a cohesive flow. That’s what happens when you grow up at The Smell instead of an Ivy League university.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player