Love the '90s? Multi-instrumentalist Adem Ilhan sure does. On his last two solo outings, the Englishman–who also plays in the band Fridge–played rich indie folk on acoustic guitar, dressed with sparkly flourishes from bells and glockenspiel. Takes gives a similar, if stripped-down, treatment to 13 covers of pop gems released between '91 and '01. Some numbers, like a mash-up of two Aphex Twin tracks, are spellbinding; others, like versions of Pinback‘s “Loro” and Smashing Pumpkins' “Starla,” pay tribute to the originals. In many spots, Adem‘s penchant for melancholy and his creamy production make this collection of personal faves feel as precious as any mixtape. Then again, maybe that‘s the point.
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- GearAsk the Experts: Vladislav Delay
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
- NewsWatch a Live Performance of Jacques Greene's New Single
XLR8R Downloads Player