Love the '90s? Multi-instrumentalist Adem Ilhan sure does. On his last two solo outings, the Englishman–who also plays in the band Fridge–played rich indie folk on acoustic guitar, dressed with sparkly flourishes from bells and glockenspiel. Takes gives a similar, if stripped-down, treatment to 13 covers of pop gems released between '91 and '01. Some numbers, like a mash-up of two Aphex Twin tracks, are spellbinding; others, like versions of Pinback‘s “Loro” and Smashing Pumpkins' “Starla,” pay tribute to the originals. In many spots, Adem‘s penchant for melancholy and his creamy production make this collection of personal faves feel as precious as any mixtape. Then again, maybe that‘s the point.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
XLR8R Downloads Player