Love the '90s? Multi-instrumentalist Adem Ilhan sure does. On his last two solo outings, the Englishman–who also plays in the band Fridge–played rich indie folk on acoustic guitar, dressed with sparkly flourishes from bells and glockenspiel. Takes gives a similar, if stripped-down, treatment to 13 covers of pop gems released between '91 and '01. Some numbers, like a mash-up of two Aphex Twin tracks, are spellbinding; others, like versions of Pinback‘s “Loro” and Smashing Pumpkins' “Starla,” pay tribute to the originals. In many spots, Adem‘s penchant for melancholy and his creamy production make this collection of personal faves feel as precious as any mixtape. Then again, maybe that‘s the point.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player