AFX Chosen Lords
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Rephlex
It was around Vol. 4 when I stopped paying attention to Richard D. James' Analord 12" series. The music wasn't bad; it just felt that something was missing. James indulged his roots in acid techno and '80s electro with 11 volumes of singles, but the results often sounded more like a sales shark showing off vintage analog gear in a music shop. Chosen Lords, at least, collects the best of those cuts, proving that James didn't waste all of his time with the new guise. "Cilonen" is a fine dystopian funk track that recalls the stiffness of so many UK sci-fi flicks, while "Boxing Day" and "Klopjob" prove that the Roland TB-303 can still shed a good tear (or at least produce a good weeping sound).
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player