AFX Chosen Lords
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Rephlex
It was around Vol. 4 when I stopped paying attention to Richard D. James' Analord 12" series. The music wasn't bad; it just felt that something was missing. James indulged his roots in acid techno and '80s electro with 11 volumes of singles, but the results often sounded more like a sales shark showing off vintage analog gear in a music shop. Chosen Lords, at least, collects the best of those cuts, proving that James didn't waste all of his time with the new guise. "Cilonen" is a fine dystopian funk track that recalls the stiffness of so many UK sci-fi flicks, while "Boxing Day" and "Klopjob" prove that the Roland TB-303 can still shed a good tear (or at least produce a good weeping sound).
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
XLR8R Downloads Player