AGF Words Are Missing
- Words: Eric Smillie
- Label: AGF Producktion
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
The latest offering from Berlin-based “poem producer” Antye Greie (a.k.a. AGF) cuts out the half-sung lyrics that usually accompany her songs, letting her expert production speak for itself. Choppy samples, spare percussion, and slow, bare beats come together like minimal techno and downtempo on an experimental bender, forming rhythms from blocks of random noise, vocal snippets, and carefully mistimed sounds. Fittingly, the images in the beautiful accompanying booklet focus on fragments of text painted on paper, asphalt, and Greie’s skin and hair. Failed communication is the theme, and the only meaningful word spoken on the album is “oops.” But rather than rehash error-happy glitch hop, Words delivers fresh music that is, dare we say, very poetic.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player