AGF Words Are Missing
- Words: Eric Smillie
- Label: AGF Producktion
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
The latest offering from Berlin-based “poem producer” Antye Greie (a.k.a. AGF) cuts out the half-sung lyrics that usually accompany her songs, letting her expert production speak for itself. Choppy samples, spare percussion, and slow, bare beats come together like minimal techno and downtempo on an experimental bender, forming rhythms from blocks of random noise, vocal snippets, and carefully mistimed sounds. Fittingly, the images in the beautiful accompanying booklet focus on fragments of text painted on paper, asphalt, and Greie’s skin and hair. Failed communication is the theme, and the only meaningful word spoken on the album is “oops.” But rather than rehash error-happy glitch hop, Words delivers fresh music that is, dare we say, very poetic.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player