AGF Words Are Missing
- Words: Eric Smillie
- Label: AGF Producktion
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
The latest offering from Berlin-based “poem producer” Antye Greie (a.k.a. AGF) cuts out the half-sung lyrics that usually accompany her songs, letting her expert production speak for itself. Choppy samples, spare percussion, and slow, bare beats come together like minimal techno and downtempo on an experimental bender, forming rhythms from blocks of random noise, vocal snippets, and carefully mistimed sounds. Fittingly, the images in the beautiful accompanying booklet focus on fragments of text painted on paper, asphalt, and Greie’s skin and hair. Failed communication is the theme, and the only meaningful word spoken on the album is “oops.” But rather than rehash error-happy glitch hop, Words delivers fresh music that is, dare we say, very poetic.
- FeatureDekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- NewsWatch a New Video for Fatima's "Rest in Peace"
- NewsIkonika Streams New Track from Upcoming Hyperdub EP, Drops New Mix
- MP3Remote "Alcyone (Matt Walsh Remix)"
- Dekmantel: How Some Fanboys from The Hague Found Themselves at the Helm of One of Electronic Music's Best Festivals
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player