Ahilea Café Svetlana
- Words: Walter Wasacz
- Label: Essay
- XLR8R Rating: 8.5/10
What, Balkan electro-pop isn't on your dance radar? It should be—a quick spin around Café Svetlana reveals 17 hip-shaking, perspiration-inducing tracks by Macedonian producer Ahilea Durcovski. While this scene has found a home in Vienna, its music is multi-ethnic, with strong Greek, Turkish, Serbian, Croatian, and assorted Slavic flavors found in this rousing collection. What sounds like a bass clarinet leads a mad waltz called "Out of Town," a pumping accordion and howling vocals by Bella Wagner (“You connect your whole body full of vodka to the beat,” she tells us in the raspy spoken word intro) breathe fire into "Spiritus Tango," and an electrified fiddle and more clarinets rock the hell out of "Coffee and Tumbula." Opa!
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player