Aidan Baker and Tim Hecker Fantasma Parastasie
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Alien8
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
Amongst the many visions conjured by this debut collaboration between two big names in the admittedly small circle of ambient/drone music, few are musical. Think of the bizarrely cellular organics of a Hieronymus Bosch painting, or New York artists Mike and Doug Starn’s segmented and strangely lit photographs–images that are simultaneously bulbous and disjointed. With a palette of dark and often discordant colors comprised of hyper-distorted electric guitars and overblown synthesizers, Baker and Hecker create music worthy of the luminous noise names whom they reference as touchstones, such as Merzbow and Muslimgauze–music as finely articulated as a symphony, loud enough to be painful, and arcane enough to warrant repeat listening. Loud is, indeed, the new quiet.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player