Air Moon Safari: 10th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
- Words: David Hemingway
- Label: EMI
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
A decade after the fact, it’s hard to believe that “French band Air” (to quote the sleeve) once seemed almost radical. Eschewing rock’s penchant for (faux) rebellion, Nicolas Godin and Jean-Benoit Dunckel juxtaposed lounge music and French synthesizer pop with a wisp of club culture to create an album that was, more than anything, pleasant. As well as a DVD featuring Mike Mills' documentary on the band, Eating Sleeping Waiting & Playing, an extra audio disc of this lovingly packaged 10th anniversary special edition adds demos, radio station versions, and remixes (including Beck’s “Sex Kino” mix of “Sexy Boy” and a curiously rockin’ version of “Kelly Watch the Stars”), simultaneously suggesting an alternative version of Moon Safari and sign-posting what was to follow from the Versailles-based duo. Nice.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player