Air Talkie Walkie
- Words: Daniel Siwek
- Label: Virgin
Air's comeback is an understated and elegant travelogue that shows both where they've been and where they plan on taking us. Talkie Walkie recalls the freshness of Premiers Symptomes (with it's Emmanuelle-in-space production and soft-core innocence) and incorporates the charming choruses that the band unearthed on Moon Safari. Gone is all that Pink Floyd grandeur (Dark Side via Virgin Suicides), but not forgotten is the technical gloom Air has acquired from Radiohead. They don't glitch out, though, choosing instead to romance the listener through whistles, lush string arrangements (from Serge Gainsbourg's man Michel Colobier), and Western guitars. With Talkie Walkie, Air achieves the perfect balance between song and soundtrack, perhaps creating the next French pop classic.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player