Akron/Family Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Young God
- XLR8R Rating: 4/10
Ambition is a good thing—as long as you know what to do with it. Unfortunately, on Set ’Em Wild, Set ’Em Free, Akron/Family rarely does. The quartet’s fourth disc swings wildly between Appalachian freak-folk and Sonic Youth freak-outs, West African guitar jams and kitschy electro-folk, arena-ready riffage and luscious four-part harmonies. Only rarely does the music coalesce into something memorable. While opening track “Everyone is Guilty” blends Afro-funk’s swing and Jimmy Page’s guitar without losing its sing-along appeal, and closing tunes “Sun Will Shine” and “Last Year” provide haunting vocal mediations, the album’s remaining 40 minutes only offer sparks of brilliance. Unfortunately, there’s never enough to start a bonfire.
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- MP3Aashton "I've Had Enough"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Rubadub
XLR8R Downloads Player