Akron/Family Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free
- Words: John S.W. MacDonald
- Label: Young God
- XLR8R Rating: 4/10
Ambition is a good thing—as long as you know what to do with it. Unfortunately, on Set ’Em Wild, Set ’Em Free, Akron/Family rarely does. The quartet’s fourth disc swings wildly between Appalachian freak-folk and Sonic Youth freak-outs, West African guitar jams and kitschy electro-folk, arena-ready riffage and luscious four-part harmonies. Only rarely does the music coalesce into something memorable. While opening track “Everyone is Guilty” blends Afro-funk’s swing and Jimmy Page’s guitar without losing its sing-along appeal, and closing tunes “Sun Will Shine” and “Last Year” provide haunting vocal mediations, the album’s remaining 40 minutes only offer sparks of brilliance. Unfortunately, there’s never enough to start a bonfire.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player