Al Kent Presents the Million Dollar Orchestra Better Days
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: BBE
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Scottish disco junkie Al Kent can sucker you into believing that his orchestra’s tracks were salvaged from finger-smudged records found at a retired DJ’s rummage sale. The elements are all there: sashaying string sections and Latin piano riffs that introduce every bum who walks into the discothèque, hi-hat snaps, and the essential let-it-hang-out camp. “Don’tcha Wanna Get Down” and “Rock Freak Boogie” capture it all. However, Kent’s formula grows repetitive and loses its momentum over this hour-long album. Some tracks aren’t solid songs but rather raw breakbeat material to be picked and pulled apart by samplers. Still, there is much escapist fare to enjoy, and to lie about having found on a rare Danish disco LP.
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureXLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with FaltyDL, Dekmantel, Randomer, and More
- NewsR&S Readies Debut Outing from Alma Construct, Streams Lead Track
- NewsThe Great American Techno Festival Announces Dates and Initial Line-Up
- XLR8R's Top 20 Downloads of July
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
XLR8R Downloads Player