Al Kent Presents the Million Dollar Orchestra Better Days
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: BBE
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Scottish disco junkie Al Kent can sucker you into believing that his orchestra’s tracks were salvaged from finger-smudged records found at a retired DJ’s rummage sale. The elements are all there: sashaying string sections and Latin piano riffs that introduce every bum who walks into the discothèque, hi-hat snaps, and the essential let-it-hang-out camp. “Don’tcha Wanna Get Down” and “Rock Freak Boogie” capture it all. However, Kent’s formula grows repetitive and loses its momentum over this hour-long album. Some tracks aren’t solid songs but rather raw breakbeat material to be picked and pulled apart by samplers. Still, there is much escapist fare to enjoy, and to lie about having found on a rare Danish disco LP.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player