Alex Smoke Incommunicado
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Soma
If Soma label chiefs and tech-house producers Stuart McMillan and Orde Meikle ever had a wet dream for their musical successor, the often-dubbed "producer‘s producer," Alex Smoke is it. Smoke fits snugly as the missing piece of McMillan and Meikle‘s family puzzle, particularly as a next-generation Slam (McMillan and Meikle‘s well-minted production name). Like Slam, Smoke‘s winds his techno and tech-house into tight, minimalistic funk. But Smoke‘s pieces also play with rougher elements like glitch ("Brian‘s Lung") and experimental noise, slicing up his sweeping trance overtones. Check "Passing Through" to marvel at how organic a simple blip can sound.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
XLR8R Downloads Player