Alex Smoke Incommunicado
- Words: Janet Tzou
- Label: Soma
If Soma label chiefs and tech-house producers Stuart McMillan and Orde Meikle ever had a wet dream for their musical successor, the often-dubbed "producer‘s producer," Alex Smoke is it. Smoke fits snugly as the missing piece of McMillan and Meikle‘s family puzzle, particularly as a next-generation Slam (McMillan and Meikle‘s well-minted production name). Like Slam, Smoke‘s winds his techno and tech-house into tight, minimalistic funk. But Smoke‘s pieces also play with rougher elements like glitch ("Brian‘s Lung") and experimental noise, slicing up his sweeping trance overtones. Check "Passing Through" to marvel at how organic a simple blip can sound.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player