Alex Smoke Paradolia
- Words: David Hemingway
- Label: Soma
Paradolia is the phenomenon of finding familiar images in random scenes, like faces in clouds or religious icons in root vegetables. By a comparable process, it's easy to pick out familiar motifs in Alex Menzies' music-making; throughout Paradolia, trace elements of other music released in the last 24 months or so on labels like Kompakt, Traum, Get Physical, Border Community, and, most pronouncedly, Ghostly International (via Matthew Dear's melodic, song-based techno) seem to teem from the speakers. Nevertheless, on the follow-up to Incommunicado, Menzies transcends mere homage; by surveying the micro-and electro-house scenes of 2004-05, he produces an album that might be among the more loveable of 2006.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player