Alexander Nut Rinse:08
- Words: Patrick Sisson
- Label: Rinse
- XLR8R Rating: 9/10
The term of the moment is “wonky,” but when it comes to Alexander Nut’s superb blend of urban beats, it’s all about soul, swing, and a distinctly contemporary kind of swagger. The mix starts off in the sunshine poolside, glowing under the warm rays exuded by tracks like Marco Polo’s “Relax.” But the reflection in the infinity pool gets more refracted and strange as the album progresses, leisurely shifting between raw, slightly disorienting electro beats from hip-hop’s razor edge and oversized U.K. basslines distilled from dub’s massive echoes. Nut never wavers, and seems to find new potential in the thick, unwieldy basslines he strings together. Terms don’t matter when the sum is greater than it’s already impressive parts.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player