- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: anticon.
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Brendon “Alias” Whitney established his production alongside abstract, nigh-emo MCs Sole, Slug, and Doseone. Since, he has been a prolific remixer, honing his electro-organica. This third full-length, its name Latin for “I shall rise again,” opens with southern bounce gone EBM as Casiotones distend. Soon, however, the friction of graphite-rubbed drums is replaced with a more mercurial sputter. Guests include Yoni of Why? getting screwed down and The One AM Radio thawing. Indeed, standout tracks (including “Death Watch”) are often with cipher swatches, as voices allow for dynamics playing tug-of-war more than just tug-the-heartstrings. Alias primarily mines only two modes–starry-eyed chords and wistful riffs–but in those he stays gold, ponyboys.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player