- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: anticon.
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Brendon “Alias” Whitney established his production alongside abstract, nigh-emo MCs Sole, Slug, and Doseone. Since, he has been a prolific remixer, honing his electro-organica. This third full-length, its name Latin for “I shall rise again,” opens with southern bounce gone EBM as Casiotones distend. Soon, however, the friction of graphite-rubbed drums is replaced with a more mercurial sputter. Guests include Yoni of Why? getting screwed down and The One AM Radio thawing. Indeed, standout tracks (including “Death Watch”) are often with cipher swatches, as voices allow for dynamics playing tug-of-war more than just tug-the-heartstrings. Alias primarily mines only two modes–starry-eyed chords and wistful riffs–but in those he stays gold, ponyboys.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- PodcastMaxmillion Dunbar
- NewsXosar Preps New EP for Valcrond Video
- Feature20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- NewsLivity Sound Preps Remix Compilation Featuring Surgeon, Pangaea, and More
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player