- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: anticon.
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Brendon “Alias” Whitney established his production alongside abstract, nigh-emo MCs Sole, Slug, and Doseone. Since, he has been a prolific remixer, honing his electro-organica. This third full-length, its name Latin for “I shall rise again,” opens with southern bounce gone EBM as Casiotones distend. Soon, however, the friction of graphite-rubbed drums is replaced with a more mercurial sputter. Guests include Yoni of Why? getting screwed down and The One AM Radio thawing. Indeed, standout tracks (including “Death Watch”) are often with cipher swatches, as voices allow for dynamics playing tug-of-war more than just tug-the-heartstrings. Alias primarily mines only two modes–starry-eyed chords and wistful riffs–but in those he stays gold, ponyboys.
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsDJ Sprinkles Plans Brief North American Tour
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsRoman Flügel Shares New Track from Upcoming LP
XLR8R Downloads Player