Alif Tree French Cuisine
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Compost
Nina Simone opens French Cuisine, as Alif Tree makes his devotions clear: Simone‘s "Plain Gold Ring" is as sophisticated and heart wrenching as jazz will ever be. Alif Tree‘s minimalist vinyl-crackle-and-warm-beats reworking of that vocal into his own "Deadly Species" shows the Frenchman lovingly crafting acoustic sounds and electronic productions into a seamless, melancholy shuffle. Anna Karina, Shirley Horn, French library music, and Parisian café jazz all get the Alif Tree makeover on an album that would‘ve been as at home in a Truffaut film as on a certain German label of no little renown.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player