Alva Noto Transall Series
- Words: Susanna Bolle
- Label: Raster-Noton
As Alva Noto, sound artist Carsten Nicolai is the master of pointillist digital funk, balancing crystalline sine waves, angular, synapse-jiggling grooves, and bursts of seething static. On Transall, a trio of elegantly packaged 3 CDs, Nicolai focuses on the interlocking themes of the increased speed of information flow, the proliferation of post-digital utopias, and the fragmentation of ideas. The music has a dark, surprisingly aggressive feel, as Nicolai sculpts his sparse, rhythmic pieces out of sub-bass pulses, percussive pops, sine tones, and snippets of radio transmissions. Yet even at its most fragmented and abrasive, that undeniable Noto funk will have you bobbing your noggin whilst marveling at the harsh beauty of Nicolai‘s finely fragmented crackles, buzzes, and hums.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player