Alva Noto Transall Series
- Words: Susanna Bolle
- Label: Raster-Noton
As Alva Noto, sound artist Carsten Nicolai is the master of pointillist digital funk, balancing crystalline sine waves, angular, synapse-jiggling grooves, and bursts of seething static. On Transall, a trio of elegantly packaged 3 CDs, Nicolai focuses on the interlocking themes of the increased speed of information flow, the proliferation of post-digital utopias, and the fragmentation of ideas. The music has a dark, surprisingly aggressive feel, as Nicolai sculpts his sparse, rhythmic pieces out of sub-bass pulses, percussive pops, sine tones, and snippets of radio transmissions. Yet even at its most fragmented and abrasive, that undeniable Noto funk will have you bobbing your noggin whilst marveling at the harsh beauty of Nicolai‘s finely fragmented crackles, buzzes, and hums.
- MP3GL "Won't You See (Gerd Janson Dub Mix)"
- NewsWolfgang Voigt Pays Tribute to the Roland 303 for Kompakt's 303rd Release
- NewsLeon Vynehall Shares Mesmerizing New Video, Announces North American Tour
- NewsGhostly Artists Soundtrack Upcoming Videogame; Hear New Tracks from Shigeto, Matthew Dear, and More
- Trainwreck: DJ Slugo Recounts the Time He Found Himself in the Middle of a Hotel Room Brawl
- 20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- Record Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- Record Store Week: Co-Op 87
XLR8R Downloads Player