Amir Sulaiman Like a Thief in the Night
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Uprising
Def Poetry Jam performer Amir Sulaiman is the latest activist/spoken-word artist to kick his unabashed poetics via hip-hop. On his new album, Sulaiman confronts the harshest realities of life with oft-ferociously delivered wordplay. But it's not just this poet's intensity that will catch your ears. On the jazz-tinged "Make It Through," Sulaiman calms his usual growl as he reaches out to women caught in hazardous relationships-not by offering false hope, but by calling it like it is. Because he refuses to beat around the bush, Sulaiman's confrontational poetry-hop has scant mass appeal. But anyone who's willing to put his or her thinking cap on would be wise to cop this.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player