Angie Reed Presents The Best of Barbara Brockhaus
- Words: Dave Stenton
- Label: Chicks On Speed
Angie Reed's voice-a unique, high-pitched drawl resulting from American/Italian parentage and a Berlin base-immediately forces you to make a decision. No middle ground is on offer-you will either love it or hate it. And its omnipresence will prevent those left cold from enjoying an otherwise intriguing album. The Puppetmastaz-creators of one of hip-hop's most distinctive live shows-pop up on production duties. Characteristically, they refuse to play by the rules, preferring instead to switch emphasis from garage rock to Thomas Brinkmann-like techno with scant concern for the genre police. And Barbara Brockhaus, a fictional secretary prone to boredom-induced sexual fantasies, provides the lyrical content. No surprise, then, that Gonzales guests and Peaches proffers praise.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- FeatureRecord Store Week: Pearson Sound, Matias Aguayo, Leon Vynehall, and Gerd Share Their Favorite Shops
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Flying Lotus, Hard Wax, SBTRKT and More
- NewsWatch Eprom's Menacing New Video for "Center of the Sun"
XLR8R Downloads Player