Angie Reed XYZ Frequency
- Words: Megan Martin
- Label: Chicks on Speed
Angie Reed has shed the nylons and pencil skirts of her debut album's tour, "The Best of Barbara Brockhaus Live Secretary Show," but three years later, she still wears the attitude. There's something risqué yet lovable about an innocent voice purring out lyrics like a sassy sex worker; in "Hustle a Hustler," Reed croons assuredly, "Ain't nothing wrong with your ding dong" and in "Dancing Tarantella to a Machine Gun," she scolds the boys for messing with the wrong gal. Reed's use of texture gives the songs a unique sensuality, with backbeats rubbing against bells and whistles and beatboxing, and her softly ironic coo throttling its subject matter. Each spin of XYZ Frequency feels like being touched for the very first time: You never know quite what to expect.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player