Another Electronic Musician Five
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: n5md
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Ignore Jase Rex’s self-belittling name, as the Southern California IDM artist’s fifth album is filled with grooves and atmospherics that easily surpass the efforts of the average bedroom electronic musician. He molds a typewriter’s clacks into a drifting soul groove on “Conjecture Correction,” while the excellent “Low Company” interweaves birdsong into a drizzling space-jazz ballad. Elsewhere, the interlocked synth melodies and darting, UFO-like noises on the ambient “Congee” hark back to the dank, VapoRub-smeared chill-out rooms of raves past. With any luck, this music will play in the hospital waiting rooms and drunk tanks of the future.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player