Anthony Hamilton Southern Comfort
- Words: Derek Beres
- Label: Merovingian
Charlotte, NC native Anthony Hamilton has never had an issue with wearing his influences-Marvin Gaye, Donny Hathaway, Bill Withers-like a badge of honor. Indeed, he is carrying the torch for that Southern, gospel-inflected, blues-derived sound. What his latest lacks in coherence (it's a collection of unreleased tracks spanning years), it more than makes up for in the luster of this troubadour's smoky voice and brilliant songwriting. You can't miss his call-out to Curtis on "Don't Say What You Won't Do," nor will the hook of "Glad U Called" leave your mind anytime soon.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player