- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Anti-
No recording can truly capture Antibalas' soul. One must see them in the flesh, and struggle to dance in an overcrowded room, to really grasp it. With Security, the NYC orchestra takes a sharp turn, one that it may offend some Afrobeat purists. Actually, they sometimes seem to be more bent on entertaining vacationers at the Abuja Hilton than inciting revolution. (Witness the kitschy organ melodies that smile too long on "Hilo" and "Age.") However, Antibalas' lost grit is otherwise compensated for by grooves that are steady and alive enough to last all night. It needs more woodblock, though.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player