Antibalas Who Is This America?
- Words: Jonathan Zwickel
- Label: Ropeadope
With the Afrobeat awakening finally ringing loud and clear across dancefloors nationwide, Brooklyn's Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra returns to prove they're still the baddest on the block. Their characteristic, churning boombast descends immediately, with the slinky guitar and torrential horn storm of the title track and "Pay Back Africa"; it continues later as album closers "Elephant" and "Sister" stretch out darkly hypnotic rhythms into epic, Fela-esque lengths. The band's anti-establishment politics resound throughout, but perhaps loudest on "Indictment," a hilarious, funky People's Court send-up that reveals a newfound sense of humor layered over some of the band's most urgent playing.
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player