Antibalas Who Is This America?
- Words: Jonathan Zwickel
- Label: Ropeadope
With the Afrobeat awakening finally ringing loud and clear across dancefloors nationwide, Brooklyn's Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra returns to prove they're still the baddest on the block. Their characteristic, churning boombast descends immediately, with the slinky guitar and torrential horn storm of the title track and "Pay Back Africa"; it continues later as album closers "Elephant" and "Sister" stretch out darkly hypnotic rhythms into epic, Fela-esque lengths. The band's anti-establishment politics resound throughout, but perhaps loudest on "Indictment," a hilarious, funky People's Court send-up that reveals a newfound sense of humor layered over some of the band's most urgent playing.
- GearIn the Studio: Surgeon
- GearKuvo: What Is It, How Does It Work, and Is It a Good Idea? (a.k.a. an XLR8R Interview with Pioneer About Its Newest Product)
- GearAsk the Experts: Vladislav Delay
- FeaturePachanga, Pantha du Prince, and a Japanese Drone Dance: 10 Reasons We Loved MUTEK.MX 2014
- NewsWatch a Documentary on the Club Music Culture of Colombia's Caribbean Coast
XLR8R Downloads Player