Antibalas Who Is This America?
- Words: Jonathan Zwickel
- Label: Ropeadope
With the Afrobeat awakening finally ringing loud and clear across dancefloors nationwide, Brooklyn's Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra returns to prove they're still the baddest on the block. Their characteristic, churning boombast descends immediately, with the slinky guitar and torrential horn storm of the title track and "Pay Back Africa"; it continues later as album closers "Elephant" and "Sister" stretch out darkly hypnotic rhythms into epic, Fela-esque lengths. The band's anti-establishment politics resound throughout, but perhaps loudest on "Indictment," a hilarious, funky People's Court send-up that reveals a newfound sense of humor layered over some of the band's most urgent playing.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player