Anvil New Music for Virtuosos
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Fingerprint
Call it "yacht-hop," or "grooves to enjoy while staring at the Patrick Nagel lady paintings on your bedroom ceiling." Whatever it is, Andrew Cohn playfully makes indie-hop fodder with the schmaltz of Reagan-era soft rock and Playboy Channel jazz. Cheap thrills abound here: Tracks like "Blood Red Sea" resemble Michael McDonald gone Anticon while "Bun and Run" and "Third Coast Boogie" are fine Scarface-informed takes on disco. There's even a bit of leftfield abstraction on "Outside the Box." New Music is kitsch that is so unfashionable, it‘s bound to unleash a virus upon retrophiles of all sorts.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player