Ape School Ape School
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Counter
- XLR8R Rating: 5/10
"I thought I knew what I was doing/So I did what I did/Forgive my children," Ape Schoolmaster Michael Johnson croons on the bleary-eyed number, "Did What I Did." It's quite entertaining to hear him not know what exactly he's doing on his debut indie-pop album—the bass on "In Time You Are" is cranked down low enough to slug his vocals to death. But once our boy stops trying to be a marketable eccentric, he delivers some fine moments, namely the T. Rex-goes-Eno groove of "Deathstomp" and the grandiose orchestrations of "No Shame." What robs the album of its grace is Johnson's habit of reducing his Floridian drawl into a slackjawed mumble that gets lost in sloppy mixing. That's unforgivable, my child.
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player