Aphrodesia Lagos by Bus
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Cyberset
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Like musical cousins Antibalas and NOMO, the Bay Area Afrobeat enthusiasts of Aphrodesia take their Afro straight-up, no relaxer: The group recently toured Africa, sucking up influences, and even playing Fela Kuti’s daughter’s club in Nigeria. Lagos by Bus shows off this knowledge, resetting highlife and Afrobeat sounds alongside American free-jazz influences and other African sounds, such as mbira playing reminiscent of Thomas Mapfumo’s Blacks Unlimited. Yet something musically timid remains, as though Aphrodesia remains slightly in awe of its influences, and for now it seems that this remarkably talented band’s best efforts remain on stage rather than in the studio.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player