Aphrodesia Lagos by Bus
- Words: Justin Hopper
- Label: Cyberset
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Like musical cousins Antibalas and NOMO, the Bay Area Afrobeat enthusiasts of Aphrodesia take their Afro straight-up, no relaxer: The group recently toured Africa, sucking up influences, and even playing Fela Kuti’s daughter’s club in Nigeria. Lagos by Bus shows off this knowledge, resetting highlife and Afrobeat sounds alongside American free-jazz influences and other African sounds, such as mbira playing reminiscent of Thomas Mapfumo’s Blacks Unlimited. Yet something musically timid remains, as though Aphrodesia remains slightly in awe of its influences, and for now it seems that this remarkably talented band’s best efforts remain on stage rather than in the studio.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player