Arp In Light
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: Smalltown Supersound
- XLR8R Rating: 7/10
Multi-instrumentalist Alexis Georgopolous reportedly left post-punk hypno-groove merchants Tussle under less than amicable circumstances after the group’s Telescope Mind. However, if the fallout from that unfortunate split is his Arp project, maybe it’s for the best. In Light, Georgopolous’ radiant solo debut, is his righteous stab at Terry Riley-esque minimalism and the kosmische musik that made Germany the coolest place on earth in the ’70s. That a young musician from San Francisco made this record in 2007 doesn’t diminish its abundant, profound pleasures. Arp’s no-overdub/analog-gear approach to electronic music and his solemn devotion to less-is-more composition ensure that In Light emits a sun-dappled warmth, evoking an eternal dawn of optimism, especially on “St Tropez” (with shades of Cluster’s Sowiesoso) and “The Rising Sun.” Elsewhere, a throbbing, hypnotic intensity prevails, as each wave of Arp’s subtly tweaked analog-keyboard textures burrow into you like a deep-tissue massage.
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player