Art Brut It's a Bit Complicated
- Words: Luciana Lopez
- Label: Downtown
It's hard to consider Art Brut part of the outsider art movement they're named for, now that the British band's got a well-received first album under its belt and is onto a sophomore release. Sure, they could have made their art-punk more, well, complicated, but instead they've cranked their previous sound up to 11. Brash guitars, upbeat tempos, Eddie Argos' spoken-ish lyrics (usually about relationships, from the fun to the failed)–everything sounds shinier this time around. When it works, it's as impossible to hate as puppies, like the mixtape ode "Sound of Summer." But after a while there's a sense of sameness that dulls the impact of even the album's best songs.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player