Arthur Russell The World of Arthur Russell
- Words: Brion Paul
- Label: Soul Jazz
With Soul Jazz's priceless curatorial eye still firmly set on early '80s downtown New York, they turn to reissuing a true American hero, Arthur Russell. A classically trained cellist versed in Indian music, Russell moved to New York at the beginning of its great musical renaissance, where he performed with avant gardists David Byrne, Phillip Glass, Rhys Chatham and Allen Ginsberg while also founding classic dance label Sleeping Bag Records. His startling leftfield disco tracks feature here along with some of his more introspective manipulated cello numbers. An essential compilation of experimental dance music, as you'd bankrupt yourself trying to find the originals.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player