Arthur Russell The World of Arthur Russell
- Words: Brion Paul
- Label: Soul Jazz
With Soul Jazz's priceless curatorial eye still firmly set on early '80s downtown New York, they turn to reissuing a true American hero, Arthur Russell. A classically trained cellist versed in Indian music, Russell moved to New York at the beginning of its great musical renaissance, where he performed with avant gardists David Byrne, Phillip Glass, Rhys Chatham and Allen Ginsberg while also founding classic dance label Sleeping Bag Records. His startling leftfield disco tracks feature here along with some of his more introspective manipulated cello numbers. An essential compilation of experimental dance music, as you'd bankrupt yourself trying to find the originals.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player