Arthur Russell The World of Arthur Russell
- Words: Brion Paul
- Label: Soul Jazz
With Soul Jazz's priceless curatorial eye still firmly set on early '80s downtown New York, they turn to reissuing a true American hero, Arthur Russell. A classically trained cellist versed in Indian music, Russell moved to New York at the beginning of its great musical renaissance, where he performed with avant gardists David Byrne, Phillip Glass, Rhys Chatham and Allen Ginsberg while also founding classic dance label Sleeping Bag Records. His startling leftfield disco tracks feature here along with some of his more introspective manipulated cello numbers. An essential compilation of experimental dance music, as you'd bankrupt yourself trying to find the originals.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- NewsWatch Holly Herndon's Video for New Single, "Home"
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player