- Words: James Mayo
- Label: VP
On his full-length debut, Assassin knocks out the competition with his lyrical boomshots and rope-a-dope beats. Under the tutelage of Penthouse Studios owner/producer Donovan Germain, the 22-year old Jamaican has developed into one of the island‘s most promising dancehall artists. This lyrically gifted deejay brings a street reporter‘s eye for detail to tracks like the autobiographical "Gangsta City" and the MLK-inspired "Free at Last". He teams up with reggae legend Freddie McGregor to unite the generations in the soul-stirring "Youth Well Cold." From the confrontational "Step Pon Dem" to the radio-friendly "Let Me Know," featuring Chi-town‘s Syleena Johnson, Assassin demonstrates versatility, successfully walking the line between street credibility and commercial viability.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player