Astonish From Now Until Forever
- Words: Max Herman
- Label: Molemen
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Astonish, the newest member of Chicago’s Molemen crew, has confidence to spare on his reliable debut. The MC may be getting a bit ahead of himself by claiming to be the “rookie of the year” on this EP, but his self-assurance is often warranted. When not spitting unwavering braggadocio in his Opio-like flow (“The Interview,” “Microphone Check”), Astonish is convincingly able to tap into his everyday struggles with lines like “Still the type that got a job/But nothing to show for it” (from “Problems”). And the sample-heavy beats from his Molemen crewmates Panik and PNS, and others like Ozone routinely match the MC’s verbal potency.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player