- Words: Lulu McAllister
- Label: 2020 Vision
- XLR8R Rating: 8/10
On the debut full-length from Leeds-based duo Audiojack (Jamie Rial and Richard Burkinshaw), unusual accents and the creative integration of live instruments puts a fresh spin on things. “Jack the Keys” features subdued notes of off-kilter piano that speed up into funky, somewhat sinister house. Meanwhile, “Radio” scatters static over a sturdy techno foundation; the effect is akin to a broken television being dropped into the middle of a dancefloor. “No Control” decorates a lopsided tribal rhythm with effervescent synths, ambiguous moaning, and what sounds like an electric didgeridoo. The album takes a dark pass on “Shanghai” but ends on a decidedly high note with the chime-dappled groove “Sun Through the Ceiling.”
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player