- Words: Doug Morton
- Label: Warp
- XLR8R Rating: 7.5/10
Light and dark, desolation and grace–Autechre’s see-saw tilts steadfastly into its ninth LP manifestation. Quaristice convulses between minimalist mechanics and grim, subconscious melody more sporadically than ever before. The reverse tide of “WNSN” and low-frequency polar creep of “Notwo” lubricates the hyper-electro cadence of tracks like “chenc9” and “bnc Castl,” accentuating the disintegrated nature of the album. Whereas early works like Amber and LP5 explored the fusion of fluid and mechanical textures in a cybernetic form, Quaristice seems to break that formula down and explore the components in a more vacuum-like environment. However, hybrid organisms that do emerge, like the humming, titanic “Tankakern,” move with a dark and deliberate gait, bound for many a rewind.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- NewsListen to Another Track from Flying Lotus' 'You're Dead!' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player