- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Warp
So here is Autechre Version 8.0. Rob Brown and Sean Booth further brandish their electro-funk roots, but mutate their beats into beasts which get shot down from trees, ear-tagged, and thrown in a zoo. Jumbled, broken-footed percussion is at the fore with textures as afterthoughts. The post-techno swordsmanship on the beats is quite deft, but very little is memorable. The lone exception is the taiko-like danse macabre of "Pro Radii," where phantom jazz melodies and hailing DSP noises intoxicate. Better luck next time.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player