Awol One and Daddy Kev Slanguage
- Words: DJ Anna
- Label: Mush
What happens when an abstract producer and a way-out-there rapper get together to create hip-hop's answer to free jazz? Well, for one, it's weird. Very weird. Not weird like Mush's other releases-way weirder. Awol One's rambling over this mix of bizarre beats and sounds is not for everyone-in fact, most hip-hop fans will find this project unlistenable. But fans of the Shapeshifter's Awol One will probably rejoice at the sound of his monotone voice droning on about love, J-Lo, medication and hip-hop. Awol breaks it down in "The Rules of the Week": "Monday''m a pit bull/Tuesday, you're animation/Wednesday''m dedication/Thursday, you're a poem/Friday, we're all drunk idiots/Saturday, it's all just a sequel/Sunday, everybody's equal." Like free jazz itself, this album will be detested by most, loved by a few and never truly understood by anyone.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player