Awol One and Daddy Kev Slanguage
- Words: DJ Anna
- Label: Mush
What happens when an abstract producer and a way-out-there rapper get together to create hip-hop's answer to free jazz? Well, for one, it's weird. Very weird. Not weird like Mush's other releases-way weirder. Awol One's rambling over this mix of bizarre beats and sounds is not for everyone-in fact, most hip-hop fans will find this project unlistenable. But fans of the Shapeshifter's Awol One will probably rejoice at the sound of his monotone voice droning on about love, J-Lo, medication and hip-hop. Awol breaks it down in "The Rules of the Week": "Monday''m a pit bull/Tuesday, you're animation/Wednesday''m dedication/Thursday, you're a poem/Friday, we're all drunk idiots/Saturday, it's all just a sequel/Sunday, everybody's equal." Like free jazz itself, this album will be detested by most, loved by a few and never truly understood by anyone.
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player