Baby Elephant Turn My Teeth Up!
- Words: Jesse Serwer
- Label: Godforsaken Music
- XLR8R Rating: 6/10
Back in '89, Prince Paul blazed a new direction for hip-hop by repurposing Bernie Worrell's synth work from Funkadelic's "(Not Just) Knee Deep" into De La Soul's classic "Me, Myself & I." Now Paul has teamed with Worrell and Don Newkirk for Baby Elephant. On Turn My Teeth Up!, the Elephants bring the P-Funk ("Fred Berry") but with a little hip-hop and R&B thrown in. Like the similarly constructed Gnarls Barkley and Gorillaz, tracks like the David Byrne-featuring "How Does the Brain Wave" achieve a feel that's simultaneously pop and avant-garde. While not the masterpiece one might expect from these two, fans of P-Funk and P-Paul should find much to chew on.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player