Babylon is Ours The USA in Dub
- Words: Jesse Terry
- Label: Echo Beach-Select Cuts
Dub is clearly on the rise in the US, as Babylon Is Ours quickly shows. Check the differing use of frequency range, mixing techniques and instrumentation, as each artist's vision of dub covers quite a broad spectrum. King Tubby's raw production influence is pervasive, yet each of the 12 artists brings different source material-including hip-hop (Tino), downtempo (Ben Wa) and drum & bass (Otaku). Other highlights include Portland's Systemwide (featuring Dr. Israel and DJ Collage), Santa Cruz's Dub Congress and DC's Avatars of Dub, who nicely reference the sounds of Black Uhuru and Augustus Pablo with a bit of uptempo mash-up. A stateside tribute to classic dub that doesn't lack for groundbreaking experimentation.
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- NewsCheck Out a 40-Minute Live Set from Juju & Jordash
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player