Bad Brains Build a Nation
- Words: Cameron Macdonald
- Label: Megaforce
Bad Brains is one of American punk's great underdogs. They wrote the book on harDCore in the earliest '80s, and seamlessly integrated Rasta spirituality into the noise. Sadly, they went from being brush-clearing pioneers to becoming a footnote too often overlooked in punk history. On Build a Nation, produced by Beastie Boy Adam Yauch, we have vintage Brains: H.R.'s reggae croon still walks peacefully in Eden amid the noise, and the band still grooves well at 120-BPM hardcore excursions and roots-dub retreats. However, the album's traditionalism handicaps them–so many hardcore bands have copied Bad Brains' sound over the past 25 years, the music ends up sounding generic.
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsWatch a Short Documentary with Jeff Mills
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
XLR8R Downloads Player