Badawi Clones & False Prophets
- Words: Dave Segal
- Label: ROIR
Master percussionist Raz Mesinai continues to stake out iconoclastic territory on his fifth Badawi album. Since 1996, he's moved with furious inventiveness from illbient dub to ominous Middle Eastern exotica to drum-circle jams to horror-film scores. (Call him the Israeli-American Muslimgauze at your own risk.) Clones & False Prophets is Badawi's post-rock move. Raz and New York ringers like guitarist Marc Ribot and drummer Ben Perowsky churn out cinematic, ceremonial pieces like a less aggro Savage Republic while retaining elements from past Badawi efforts. The Middle East's violence, tension and melancholy still haunt Mesinai, but he's found a new way to transmute them into art.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player