Banco De Gaia Farewell Ferengistan
- Words: Stacy Meyn
- Label: Six Degrees
On Farewell Ferengistan, Banco de Gaia's Toby Marks attacks materialism's home with more than just Deep Space 9 references. (It's said that Ferengistan is Central Asia's-and Star Trek's-name for the greedy Western world.) Marks works his characteristically subtle sonics with socio-political concerns guiding him. The title track rolls out mellow East Indian vox and spooky piano tinklings while BdG actually rocks out on "Ynys Elen" before dabbling in ska ("Chingiz") and bhangra ("Kara Kum"). "Saturn Return" channels Riley and Reich, and Marks squeezes in references to Philip K. Dick‘s fave tune and Rudyard Kipling's "White Man‘s Burden" before hurling zings at Blair and Bush.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player