Barbara Morgenstern Nichts Muss
- Words: Tony Ware
- Label: Monika/Labels
Born of a war-splintered generation and technologically-informed culture, German lap-pop singer/songwriter Barbara Morgenstern has cultivated a following by refining piano-composed, computer-configured melancholic minimalism that reconnects folkish intimacy with digital detachment. With production assistance from Stefan "Pole" Betke and Palais Schaumburg founder/Orb collaborator Thomas "Readymade/Visions of Blah" Fehlmann, Morgenstern tethers hushed, huddled tones to the Teutonic tap of crisp clicks. For her third album, Nichts Muss, however, Morgenstern has married a less sequestering production to the sway of her flickering soft-focus syncopation. Plenty of room remains to drape subtleties among the drones and drifts. Gentle guitar figures pirouette against Morgenstern's vocals, which carry a message that's secondary to melody. On close listen, beneath sometimes stark crackle, percolating repetitions and rounded analogues harmonics glide and swoop, finally dovetailing with the kinetic precision of fine watchmaking. Morgenstern is of an era of Germans that are harnessing technology to both emit and emote, escape and express.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player