Baron Zen At the Mall
- Words: Esta
- Label: Stones Throw
An unlikely release for a hip-hop label, At the Mall collects Baron Zen's "DIY 'til you die" punk rock from the Bay Area, circa 1989. Strummed and sung by Sweet Steve, with dysfunctional drums programmed by Peanut Butter Wolf (oh, now you get it?), At the Mall is a 14-track homage to jaded suburban teens drinking spiked Orange Julius and stealing Joy Division cassette tapes and comic books. The band's cover of Katrina and the Waves' 1985 classic "Walking on Sunshine" sums up the entire album. Suburbia sucks, but the boredom forces you to get fiercely creative.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- FeatureGet Familiar: thePeople
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
- MP3Wildildlife "Nervous Buzzing (Hours of Worship Remix)"
XLR8R Downloads Player